Sunday 17 September 2017

New On line class available now

Welcome to my  latest blog posting.

Happy Spring for those living in Australia and New Zealand. and Happy Fall for those in the States.




The picture above is me sailing on Darwin Harbour recently a sunset. Perfect !!!!
A vision I will keep in my mind for quite some time. 

I travelled to Darwin in the Northern Territory ( you never never know if you never never go) very recently for the Darwin Patchworkers and Quilters guild .



We had 4 days of classes which went really well, free motion quilting, Daisy Paths  and Clam shells machine applique. Thank you ladies I had a wonderful time teaching you and look forward to more classes together in 2018. You all were a delight to work with and so very responsive and open to new techniques. The Darwin quilters have the most wonderful club room, air conditioned 5 star comfort all the way making the teaching so easy.

Thank you , BERNINA AUSTRALIA for the beautiful 770 sewing machine to demonstrate on. 



After the teaching I had the honour of being the guest judge for the annual Territory Quilts show. TQ2017.
This I did not take lightly , actually it terrified me, I'm not an accredited Judge, an accredited tutor yes but not a judge.....Are you sure you want me ? 

Yes they did so on goes the judges hat, big breath and lets go....
I had the BEST day, it really was so much fun. I must thank my helpers on the day assisting with critiquing note taking, turning and folding quilts, cups of tea etc....


The winner of Best of show 

Annie Radomski

DARWIN TO ALICE






Congratulations Annie

This is an outstanding quilt.

Town and Country is from a book , a block of the day challenge designed by Susan-Claire Mayfield who lives in New Zealand. Well Annie has taken this theme from Darwin to Alice and instead of the traditional English blocks has replaced local shops, office and natural beautiful nature and fauna. The detail is stunning so much to look at , scenes of the Olgas, Uluru, Dragon fly Quilt fabric shop their one and only Patchwork shop in Darwin was there with a tiny quilt in the window. Annie uses lots of hand embroidery to add texture. I will look forward to see Annie's Quilt hang at AQC in 2018 for Best of Australia award. It will be a must to see. 

More awards go to

Lyn Bates  Best Domestic Machine quilting 



Art Quilt  Serenity  by Barbara Williams 



 Art Quilt   Jabaru by  Christine Garrett 




Best use of Colour Nicky Honan



Judges Choice  Winsome Jobling 



Any Other Item Doreen Dyer



Viewers Choice and Long Arm Quilting Two or more people large quilt 
Christine Garrett 


My apologies for not showing all award winners . Please go to 
for more pictures 


Luckily there was enough room at the TQ 2017 hall for a few of my quilts to hang. 


He loves me he loves me not 


Daisy Paths Quilt  and Hearts and Lollipops 


Jacaranda on George , Glamerous Clams and Spring in Parkes 
...................................................
Holidays 

After my work John flew to Darwin where we had a week with our Son Sam and his Fiancé Lisa in their new apartment in Callan Bay ,  the sunsets are amazing.


We really loved the warm temperature as Sydney has had a very cold winter . It was lovely to swim in the billabong, cruise the harbour visit the sights and enjoy outdoor dining again. I wont bore you with too many holidays snaps here is just a few.


Sunset Eco cruise on the Corroboree Billabong , fascinating to see crocodiles I their natural habitat, we were very lucky to see a Jabaru and lots of bird life



termite mounds are everywhere


Beautiful natural waterfalls and swimming allowed in the dry season. I must admit it felt a little strange swimming in a waterhole where crocs will be living  in the wet.. but I was brave. 



A beautiful photographic exhibition at the Darwin Art gallery


We were excited to see this exhibition and I fell in love with many stunning paintings 




I visited some  wonderful shops that had Aboriginal fabrics
Paperbark woman was the first 
sells indigenous fabrics and Thank you for my very special parcel of fabric. I will post photos once I have made a quilt with them. 

Injalak Arts centre who have the most stunning display of fashion using their indigenous hand painted and screen printed fabrics from many talented fashion designers around the world. Where my credit card was running hot .......




Then at the TQ2017 show 

Merrepen Arts Centre also had hand screen printed fabrics .
Oh my goodness STUNNING 

------------------------------------------------------

I have a new On-line class for you

My Favourite BERNINA features

which is available now 

www.deborahlouie.com.au


For those of you that have a Bernina sewing machine and perhaps feel they are not getting the most out the machine, or perhaps a little hesitant to try different buttons , then this is for you. 
It is not machine model specific , I do demonstrate on the 770 and the 440 but it is the icons , the symbols that carry through all models that I am concentrating on. Easy to follow , very easy to get on line and watch and follow . 

This 2 hour class has 12 chapters where you can stop and start as many time as you like.

Great value  $30.00 Australian for a life times viewing. 

Free motion quilting using the #24 foot 


12 chapters 


Applique


Lets get started 


My books are also on the web site complete with full size pattern sheets and templates 
Daisy Paths cushion and runner
Daisy Paths Quilt
Hearts and Lollipops
Glamorous Clams 

More books and classes coming in the following months.
Bye for now 

Happy Quilting
X Deb  


















1 comment:

Chookyblue...... said...

Thanks for sharing some beatiful quilts...... Glad you could add some holiday time to the trip.....